"America is built on freedoms - of speech, religion, press, assembly, AK-47s and your face."---Mike Strobel

When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do.
............................................ .....................
Today is as good as it gets, and our tomorrows won't be any better
_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to leave.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with Republicans is that when they get into trouble they start acting like cannibals"-Richard Nixon
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Spectacular Northern Lights may be visible tonight across the northern hemisphere

Spectacular Northern Lights may be visible tonight August 3 through morning of August 4, 2010 across the northern hemisphere, following a solar eruption on Sunday night.

In the early hours of Sunday morning, the Sun's surface erupted in what's called called a coronal mass ejection, blasting tons of ionized atoms into space.

This plasma is headed straight for the Earth, and when it arrives, could create a spectacular light show.

"This eruption is directed right at us, and is expected to get here early in the day on August 4th," said astronomer Leon Golub of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA). "It's the first major Earth-directed eruption in quite some time."

The eruption itself was caught on camera by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), launched in February.

"We got a beautiful view of this eruption," said Golub. "And there might be more beautiful views to come, if it triggers aurorae."

When a coronal mass ejection reaches Earth, it interacts with the planet's magnetic field, potentially creating a geomagnetic storm. Solar particles stream down the field lines toward Earth's poles and collide with atoms of nitrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere, causing them to light up like little neon signs.

Aurorae can usually only be seen at high latitudes - but a geomagnetic storm can make them visible much further south. Sky watchers in the Northern US and Europe should look for rippling 'curtains' of green and red light to the north.

2 comments:

Charlene said...

Even if I get in my truck right now, I don't think I can make it there in time!

Ed I said...

I remember about 3 - 4 years ago I could see a red aurora display low in the sky to the north and it was very strong and bright in the Michigan area. People in the upper half of the states will probably get a good show. But of course you have to be away from major city lights too.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy.’ They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.~ John Lennon
Powered By Blogger